I am in desperate need of a workout makeover. For the past couple months I have been in major denial of my ability to motivate myself to go to the gym. I have a membership, which isn’t cheap, and rarely use it. That’s not ok with me.
It has come down to a couple reasons for me:
– I have had a very busy schedule and having to be in a class at a certain time hasn’t worked for me.
– The gym gets busy in the mornings so you have to get there extra early if you want to guarantee you have a spin bike or spot in class. This means that I have to get up extra early just to get to the gym and wait (like, 4:45am early). I don’t love this.
– The classes have been the exact same for an entire year now. The lack of variety is starting to get to me big time.
In addition, I have a gym at work for free that I can use, and I end up there more than at MVP, so it’s just not really paying off for me anymore. I am very determined and self-motivated. I don’t need classes to keep me accountable anymore, so I want to see how I do on my own. If I start to slack, or decide I want to go back to the classes there is really no harm in that. I know I can sign back up at any time for the same student rate. I just don’t have the guilt when I don’t go.
So, here is my new plan, which I am SO excited about:
– I am going to continue running and unofficially training for races throughout the winter. I love running and am so inspired by how well my body has been reacting to the long treadmill runs! Once my 100 miles by Christmas plan is over I’ll find something else to keep me going and challenged!
– I am jumping on the Tone It Up bandwagon. It’s a workout program by two girls, Karena and Katrina, who post weekly workouts and meal plans. There is a community on Instagram who follows along and encourages each other and there are some amazing success stories.
– My focus will be on a combo of weight loss and toning. I have lost a pretty good deal of weight already (40lbs in a year), so it’ll be keeping up with that while adding in toning exercises.
-In addition to Tone It Up, which has an awesome app for $0.99!
I am planning on using videos via YouTube and ones that I buy. The ones I have my eye on are the Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack series (I have done one of her videos and it’s a killer workout) and the t25 workouts from Shaun T, which I’ve heard great things about. Plus side, everything can be done from home at my convenience. If I want to do a morning workout I can get up at 6am! Heck yeah!
– I plan on purchasing some weights for home, and a device that turns my mountain bike into an indoor spin bike (because I can’t get away from spin completely!).
– I am working on a food/workout calendar (because I crave structure) to follow along with and keep me on track.
– I am posting all of my progress here and on Instagram (@sixfootfit), so follow along, hold me accountable and cheer me on through my journey! 🙂 Including pics of my progress. Since abs are a big goal, here’s my ‘before’:
Yes, it is terrifying putting a picture of your stomach on the Internet for all of the world to see. But it’s incredibly motivating for me and holds me accountable (as does this blog in general). I have worked very hard for that stomach, un-toned as it may be, and refused to be ashamed or embarrassed by it. I’m proud of where I’m at, even though it is just a stepping stone to where I want to be.
I know my plan will need tweaks along the way, but I’m really excited to get started!!
In other news, it’s snowy and freezing and not looking like it’s going to let up anytime soon. Good thing I got my new coat in the mail on Friday, which I’m obsessed with.
The cold is actually helping me stay motivated throughout my workouts. I am so desperate to warm up that I look forward to a good sweat sesh.
I started the morning with today’s Tone It Up routines and a green smoothie.
And finished with a little Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack.
I love starting Monday off right and setting myself up for a great week ahead.